Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Come back another day. . .

rain cloud Los Angeles has received 34.85 inches of rain since July. On average in the same time period, London receives 23.3 inches. Everyone has teased me to prepare for the rain but I almost feel like I will be escaping it. I lived in Seattle for two years so I will manage. I have been entertaining a simple romantic idea of getting lost on a London street. It’s raining and I pop into a bookshop. It’s a dusty maze of yellow paper full of that old book smell. There is an ancient blind cat that won’t let anyone pass without some affection. I linger for hours until after a while I leave to go get a cup of tea—because that is what you drink in England. I have also been entertaining fears that I will forget to mind the gap on the tube or that I will look to the left instead of the right and be hit by a double-decker bus. One constant in my life is a remarkable talent for finding ways to injure myself. I think we ought to take a poll. Everyone puts in a few dollars and whoever picks closest to the part of my body I injure or that requires amputation wins the pot.

2 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 11:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Break a toe nail-That will be all that is OK by me
Mom

 
At 3/24/2005 08:22:00 PM, Blogger neil h said...

Cross at the zebra crossings, and always remember to look left, then right and left again. Didn't you have the Tufty Club in america?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home