Monday, March 07, 2005

Preparing to go

The spending of pre-trip preparation money must stop. Those who know me even slightly are aware that my spending habits make up a substantial portion of the United States Economic Health Index, but in getting ready for Europe, I certainly have been giving various retail locations an extra burst. In addition to items that I told myself I needed from Gap, JCrew and Banana Republic even though I already own something vaguely similar, I am the proud owner of three London travel guide books, (Fodor’s See It London, Frommer’s Irreverent Guide to London, and London For Dummies) as well as a London A to Z (basically a Thomas Guide) and Peter Ackroyd’s London: The Biography, two moleskine notebooks, a travel hair dryer, a travel clothes steamer, a travel umbrella, a stylish black wool knee-length coat, a pair of ridiculously comfortable Josef Seibel boots and electrical adapters so I don’t blow myself or others up. I’ve been looking at my suitcases and I have done the math of square footage against the volume of my dresses and shoes and pocketbooks and I am going to have to be very strict with myself. I’m not even so worried about going as much as I am coming back. One of the few things that has no added VAT charge is books. (Britain’s version of sales tax is called value-added tax and it is -–gulp-- 17.5%.) Sending me to one of the most literature rich cities in the world is dangerous and more than a little foolish. I can hardly wait.

1 Comments:

At 3/12/2005 09:46:00 PM, Blogger Saint Buryan said...

One of the oldest pubs in London - Ye Olde Chesire Cheese - on Fleet Street. Basement from the 13th C. A great place for a drink - very atmospheric.....:)

http://www.pubs.com/chesec4.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home