Friday, May 13, 2005

Meeting Cute

There is a phrase in Hollywood, "meeting cute" which refers to how the couple in a romantic comedy meet. Think of all the romantic comedy classics and they typically meet in a quirky way. For example, It Happened One Night which if you don't know it, go rent it. You don't like old movies you say? I don't care. Netflix it. If you don't like it, you don't have a soul. They always show the clip of the hitchhiking scene where she lifts up her skirt to get a ride, which I suppose in 1934 was rather risqué. When Harry Met Sally is the ultimate meet cute movie. Again another film that if you don't like it, you have no soul. (There's a film review quote for a one sheet. "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS MOVIE, YOU DON'T HAVE A SOUL" --Tammy Faye Baker) There is a fine line because some meet cute is so cute you want to vomit. Stuart and I met very cute. It's funny, a lot of people at my company met their future spouse there. He was supposed to sort my computer. Because my log in is based on the US there was all this drama about bringing me over to Europe servers, but then it seemed that they couldn't do that, blah, blah, blah but that I should still be able to get the stuff I need while on the US system. Major run around from everyone. After a week of my not having the systems that I needed to do anything other than sit at my desk and look cute, I wrote him a very terse, "I need this and this and this and this and I need it now" e-mail. He took care of it that day. I ran into him working on my PC and he apologized for the delay. I was annoyed with him, but I said, "Don't worry about it. I know you are like twenty people" (And he was. He was always running around) then I touched his arm and he gave me this look which totally threw me. I thought, "I need to be careful about my flirting, don't I." (I flirt. Everyone does. I even flirt with girls. "I love those shoes! You look sexy today! Did you just get your hair cut?”) Later, he pinged me asking did I want to have a personal tour of London and I figured, why not? He was moving to Canada so it couldn't be more than friends. Plus I had a boyfriend in LA- which wasn't really in the best place, but still. . . and Stuart had complications as well. . . CUT TO: INT. LONDON NATIONAL GALLERY - NIGHT BRITISH BOY and AMERICAN GIRL fall in love. I resolved my relationship in LA and he is fine. We weren't really in the best place together so while it has been a little difficult, he is okay. The punch line to this whole business is that Stuart didn't sort my computer on purpose. He wanted to find a way talk to me. Meeting Cute. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home