Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Deep Sigh

Gordon
Gordon,
originally uploaded by nicdthomas.
My cats are very shy, sweet creatures. One of my stresses about coming over here for such a long time period was that they be taken care of. Not just food and litter but a little love too.

I am paying my apartment manager to take care of the food and litter and I have asked friends to pop in once a week and just say hello to them.

I don't care if you think I am a freak. They are sentient creatures and I love them.

Paul initially was popping in and checking on them but I wanted someone to take it over when he went on vacation and then when things became what they are with Stuart, I couldn't very well ask him to continue.

So I had Joe's girlfriend take over cat attention duty. Then a few weeks ago, they went through a break-up. I had her give my keys to Joe.

I haven't asked my friend how the cats are because he is dealing with his own drama with the break-up.

Stuart kept asking me how they were, so today I asked and just as I expected he hadn't had a chance to go over there. No biggie, but then he lays on me that his ex had lied to me when she said she had been going over and that no one has been checking in on them since late April.

I am beyond pissed. I could have had any number of people do this for me.

I figure that the kitties are okay because my apartment manager hasn't called to tell me that there are any problems, but I give him a call.

"Hey Ed! I just wanted to touch base and see how the cats are."

"They're fine. They're fine. How many cats do you have?"

"Three." (Yes, I know I am in scary lesbian cat-lady territory.)

"That's what I thought. I've seen the one that hides behind the fridge and the gray one. What does the other one look like?"

"George. He's an orange tabby. He's the one that hides behind the sofa."

"Right. So Friday I noticed your screen fell out of your window and that weekend I saw a gray cat hanging around the apartment."

"What!"

"And I thought, I wonder if that is Nicole's cat! I fed him some chicken."

Why the man didn't call me immediately and get some sort of confirmation about the new grey cat that suddenly appeared in the neighborhood the same day that the screen fell out of my window, I can't begin to guess.

There should be a law that if you are really, really stupid and you mess with something I love, I get to beat you with a stick.

I am trying to be positive. Joe is going to go by tonight and check to see if George is in the apartment and if Ed can't get Gordon in he is going to try and help with that. He's also going to confirm that the grey cat is actually Gordon.

I am fine. I cried, got a massage and am about to eat some food that is really, really bad for me.

1 Comments:

At 6/15/2005 11:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole,
Could you ask Joe to give me a call or could you...
Just to let you all know Nicole's cats are all loves.
xxxxoooo
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home