Thursday, August 11, 2005

Grumpy People

It is funny the people who are excited for you when you do an out of character thing like get engaged quickly and the people that say sideways snarky things. One of my sisters, who has never been the cookie with the most chips, said something like, “I had my beautiful wedding and I was divorced a year later.” She slid it in to the conversation so it wasn’t obvious that it was a dig, but I am not an idiot. I held my tongue on my theories as to why her marriage failed- chief among them extreme levels of drug use by both parties and a certain mental unbalance independent of that drug use. Today someone asked me a question about my plans and my cats and one of my colleges interjected, “When I moved to Iceland I gave my cat to my parents. Cost me $700.00 to ship my stuff then I had to ship it all when I came back.” She had moved to Iceland to be with her boyfriend and then it went south. I’m sure this woman and my sister were not trying to be mean. I’m sure it is unconscious cynicism. I just want to walk into this thinking positive results and not be afraid of the potential negatives. You can’t live your life that way. I think there is one ride on this Ferris wheel and I wanna make the most of it while I’m on it.

4 Comments:

At 8/11/2005 08:33:00 AM, Blogger neil h said...

I don't think it's you - they are bemoaning their own bad fortune. There's an old maxim that says that it's better to regret something you have done rather than something that you haven't done, so the moral is to go for your big adventure and enjoy it to the full. The worst that can happen is that you return home older and wiser, and the best - well, who knows?

After a disasterous failed relationship, I met somebody on line, and within a year we were married and had bought a house together - that was five years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made ... :-)

 
At 8/11/2005 09:28:00 AM, Blogger Stu. said...

Whilst I can't rule out the possibility of Nicole shipping her stuff back, or even onto our next port of call in europe. You best believe it will be with me in toe. Her sister can go piss up a flag pole with regards to being negative.

Just my 2 cents :)

s.

 
At 8/11/2005 06:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To let you all know Nicole's mother and Stuart's future M-I-L has all the confidence in their relationship. If I mention to either of them her "STUFF" being shipped back it is with the thought that Stu is all part of the deal. While I might have loved and still do a certain boy friend I never felt a marriage was there. In 50 years Stu & Nicole I will toast you. Of course I will have to haunt you to do it.
By the way ya all we are taking Garbo. We have a Jake, Zack and a Sophie as well. Looking forward to seeing you all.
Marilyn

 
At 8/11/2005 11:21:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks everybody!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home