Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I am a book whore

"Hello. My name is Nicole." "Hi Nicole!" "I am a bookaholic." I just shipped all of my stuff to the UK. Boxes and boxes of mostly books. Novels, non-fiction, fiction, cookbooks. . . you name it- I may very well have it. Last Tuesday I bought a copy of, We Thought You Would Be Prettier : True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro because I love her stuff and she makes me giggle. (I need to write her a "I am a huge fan and if you ever want to get drunk together, it will be a blast" letter.) I'm already done reading it if course. The way I read I consumed it in two days and that is only with reading on my lunch hour and for the few hours I was at the airport high on a couple of bloody marys. Today I bought The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction. Now it must be said. I have been waiting for AGES for someone to by me America. I thought I would get it for Christmas but no go. I thought someone would buy it on my birthday but zipporeno- so today, I bought the book I have wanted for months. My restraint should be commended because beyond the politics being right up my proverbial alley, Jon Stewart is my number one celebrity crush. He even beats out George Clooney and John Cusack. My crush goes back to 1999 when he was in a sweet but forgettable flick called Playing by Heart. It's funny that he ends up with Stuart's number one celebrity crush, Gillian Anderson in that movie. AnyWAY. After that movie I was a goner. And then when he got the Daily Show gig. . . forgetaboutit. Maybe I just have a thing for short Jews. I also had a crush on Rob Morrow during the Northern Exposure years for a long time. Now, I know that my celebrity crush will go nowhere. One, he is married. Two, he has a small child. Three. I am not an insane stalker and I know that liking the look of someone and respecting their work does not mean diddley. (God help me if I ever meet him though. I will be a simpering idiot.) But that is not the point of this post. The point, my dear darling reader is, "WHAT THE BLOODY HELL AM I DOING BUYING ANY BOOKS???!!! I am moving to London. I need to schlep this shit across the Atlantic." There must be something wrong with me. . . Beyond the obvious I mean. . . But really. . . There MUST be. Today I read about this book and I considered buying it, It nearly weighs five pounds. I need electric shock therapy.

3 Comments:

At 8/24/2005 03:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cole
If you need a fix - How about the LIBRARY!
Mom
PS
You know the books I would like to borrow. I have a few you would NOT want as well

 
At 8/24/2005 04:01:00 PM, Blogger Stu. said...

Picture it.. You have a lovely new flat close to Central London.. For a couple of weeks life is blissful.. Then before you know it a cute looking yank from Cleveland turns up with 40 of books and her scary collection of cocktail umbrellas.. My gaff is soon going to smell more musty than a fart trapped in a envelope.

*sigh*

 
At 8/24/2005 08:01:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Haha!

I too moved with boxes full of mostly books. I can't help it. Books are like family. I had to resist all sorts of urges to buy a sackload of new books while we were preparing for this last move. We already ended up with 20 huge boxes of books, and we already had some in storage.

I got America for Christmas last year! My brother always does a ton of Amazon shopping for me at Christmas and birthdays because he can't ever figure out how to mail something himself. Works for me. I can't believe noone gave it to you. Its the most awesome book. My only regret is we only get the Daily Show International Edition once a week on CNN here. Really sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home