Monday, August 01, 2005

Something I won't miss

Police helicopter are circling over my apartment. It sounds like a World War II dog fight out there. My first night in my building me and my boyfriend at the time woke up from being dead asleep because it sounded like they were right outside. I am happy that the Air Support Division is there because they catch the bad guys and maybe give budding bad guys pause, but I really won’t miss my neighborhood helicopters. I’ve never had a problem in my little neighborhood (I should knock on wood now) although a college friend that lived in New York City that stayed with me a few years ago said that my neighborhood made her more nervous than New York. But I’ve never had a problem and I have been paying stupid cheap rent for a one bedroom apartment so I’m not complaining. There is a part of me that has wondered if The Armenian Mob has kept my little street free from baddies. After living here eight years I get a nod and a grunt from the old Armenian men that play backgammon on the street. I really don’t have a sense of Armenian culture. Only once did I try to buy vegetables from the guy that sells things from the back of a van. I wasn’t made to feel welcome so. . . what are you going to do. The nut I would love to crack is the Armenian Wedding. Every year around now you see the same thing a few times on a Saturday afternoon. There will be all these car horns blaring. If you look out your window you will see a couple white limos parked outside one of the apartment buildings (always the same building). Everyone pours out of the limo, bride, groom, the entire wedding party. Musicians start to play—a clarinet is the lead instrument. They play this upbeat Russian/Middle Eastern/Godfatherish song. Everyone dances, holding hands around a white something that looks like a cake or a pile of tulle. At some point they have enough and they all go inside the apartment building. About fifteen minutes later they are back outside getting into the limos, again horns blaring and they drive away. I would love to know what the whole thing is about. I imagine that they do this on every street in Little Armenia, paying respect to who knows who. I will miss the Armenian Weddings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home