Thursday, August 18, 2005

Sound and Fury. . .

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, Creeps in this petty pace from day to day To the last syllable of recorded time, And all our yesterdays have lighted fools The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player That struts and frets his hour upon the stage And then is heard no more: it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing... -Macbeth's soliloquy in act 5, scene 5 I came across a blog recently of a single mom with an alcoholic abusive ex husband that refused to pay her child support. She was struggling to make ends meet by cleaning houses and was trying to go to school to be a paralegal. She wrote for only March and April and then it stops. I felt rather ashamed that I was off in London having the time of my life while at the exact same time this woman was freaking out about just surviving. I sent her an e-mail telling her that I hope that she was okay. I haven’t heard from her. There is something very wrong that this woman is struggling as hard as she can to take care of her daughter and to put herself into a position to earn more and it isn’t enough. No health insurance, not enough food, do I pay the gas or the electric bill bullshit. It makes me feel ashamed about the stuff I whine about in my own life. I have tried to stay away from writing my own thoughts on politics. Why? To be frank, my mom reads this and there is really no need to upset her. We have come to an understanding that we fundamentally disagree and that is okay. We still love each other. So, I edit myself from raging when W takes a week of vacation for every soldier killed in Iraq. What I have done is occasionally post articles that others have composed that I think are interesting and are better written than anything I could throw together. When I was in London, there was a different worldview from American essays, which I found valuable. There have been quite a few things I have come across recently. Some old. Some new. Sadly, they all make me really blue. E.L. Doctorow’s essay, The Unfeeling President was originally published on Thursday, September 9, 2004 by the Easthampton Star / Long Island, New York. Maureen Dowd’s August 17th NY Times Op-Ed about The President’s insistence to be on vacation while things spiral even more out of control in Iraq. You will have to register to read it, but it is free. Marc Cooper’s article Sour Grapes was published in the August 12-18 edition on the LA Weekly. There have been a number of farm workers that have died this year because of the conditions that they are forced to work in. Where is the union? What have we learned since 1939 when The Grapes of Wrath was published? I can’t find an online copy of “The Recruiter’s War by Michael Bronner, so if you can pick up the September copy of Vanity Fair (You may have seen it. The one with Jennifer Aniston on the cover. And yes, that is why I bought the magazine. To read her interview. Yes, I can admit there is a part of me that is a star fucker.) But the article I am encouraging you to read is about Marine Corps recruiters. The Vanity Fair blurb: It's a different kind of hell for military recruiters "trolling" strip malls and high schools in an increasingly desperate effort to fill their quotas. With army and Marine sources, Michael Bronner lays bare a system of manipulation, fraud, and, in one case, fatal pressure. Portraits by Harry Benson. An interview with Cindy Sheehan from October 7, 2004 long before her recent attempt to speak to the President. I’m sorry, but it makes my stomach turn that he called her “Mom.” He couldn’t take the time to use his short-term memory to memorize her name and the name of her son that died? I really respect what this woman is doing, taking action. The most I have done is a few Peace Marches before the war, forwarding a bunch of e-mails, this blog, drunken conversations with other liberals where we solve world hunger, war and try to understand the popularity of Jessica Simpson, and oh yeah. I voted. (It really bothers me how many Americans choose to not vote. People have been beaten so you can vote. Gone to jail. Died. So you. Yes you. No, not the white guy with property- sit down. You were always set up. But the rest of you. You should be ashamed of yourself.) Anyway, I respect her, but I worry for her. She seems to be so consumed with hate that she hasn’t been able to mourn her son. Okay. This idiot is sound and furyed out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home