Wednesday, September 14, 2005

About a Traveling Treefrog

Library Bitch got tagged with these questions and rather than pass it on to four other bloggers he suggested whomever would like to do it, to do it. . . and so I have. Feel free to do it yourself fellow bloggers! 10 Years Ago I was 25. I was in a Seattle First Hill studio apartment with one cat and many cockroaches. I had graduated from UNLV with my MFA in playwrighting that summer and was working at the now defunct furniture store, Chicken and Egg Furniture. In my spare time I was doing an internship in the Literary Department in the also now defunct Group Theatre. Was so depressing. There were years of scripts that were stacked up in boxes that had just been ignored. I tried to read through them and write coverage but it was all just so terrible. Personally I thought everything should have been tossed out since so much time had passed from when they had been sent in. I also dramaturged a not very good musical based on the true story of a troupe that put on a production of Hair in Sarajevo during the Bosnian war (which was still going in 95 you will recall). I learned more about that conflict than I cared to ever know and I did my research the old fashioned way in the library reading hard copies of books and magazines. The Internet was a baby beast then and I didn’t have a computer with a modem. I tried to write but I had nothing to say. A few colleges did my play Color of Bruise that year because of the bit of buzz it had gotten at the regional Kennedy Center American College Festival the year before which was good for my beer and ice cream budget. My friend Jesse Berger chose one of my one-acts for his production for the Lincoln Center Directors Lab. So. . . I wasn't writing but I still felt successful. I somehow managed to lose thirty pounds anyway just by walking to and from work. Five Years Ago Been living in LA since fall 1997 and was working at the job I am still at today for a year. Was working a ton of overtime and I let the job become more important than my writing. I had just turned 30 and I was okay with that. I had just gotten the cast off my ankle from when I broke it by catching a bit of New York City sidewalk just. . . right. I was in the middle of a really bad relationship with someone who was a really good friend. I tried to write but I had nothing to say. My screenplay All You Can Eat made the quarter final of the Nicholl Fellowship and a few agents and production companies wanted me to send it to them but I listened to advice that it wasn't ready and I didn't send it out. (To make it worse, different drafts made the quarterfinals in 99 and 00). I somehow managed to gain lots of weight (office job plus a bad relationship equals an enormous ass). I was rather unhappy. One Year Ago I was ready to walk out of my job and sell oranges on the side of the road, I hated it so much. I tried to figure out how I could work at a bookstore and pay my rent and car payment and student loans and cable and DSL and electricity and cell phone and food and beer. I was driving co-workers crazy with my bitching about how fucked up the job was and how there was zero parity. (I think that if I had not cared about my job-- If I had actually not tried to do right by the company, I would probably be a Vice President by now.) But, I was writing again and I actually had something to say. In a writing workshop the teacher, Kerry Madden said my stuff reminded her of Raymond Carver, which is sort of like someone telling a baseball player that they are like Shoeless Joe. Yesterday I had a great day at work (like I said, I should have stopped caring years ago) and then had dinner and margaritas with Jolie. Talked to Stuart a few times on the phone and he told me that he had bought me a present. Not that I NEED a present but I adore his compulsion to buy me just because gifts. Boys, trust me. Just because gifts are the key to nearly anything you want. 5 Snacks I enjoy 1. Onion dip & potato chips 2. Ben and Jerry's Phish Food Ice Cream 3. pepperoni and jalapeno jack cheese 4. olives- the green ones stuffed with garlic you can get at Whole Foods 5. peanut butter 5 Songs I Know All The Words To 1. Galileo- Indigo Girls 2. Crazy Willie Nelson 3. You're so Vain- Carly Simon 4. The Telephone Hour- from Bye Bye Birdie 5. A Little Sugar in my Bowl- Nina Simone If I Had A Million Dollars ... Okay- I can't hear this without thinking off Office Space so. . . Peter: What would you do if you had a million dollars? Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man - two chicks at the same time, man. Peter: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time? Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, 'cause chicks dig dudes with money. Peter: Well, not all chicks. Lawrence: Well, the kind of chicks that'd double up on me do. Peter: Good point. Lawrence: What about you ... what would you do? Peter: Besides two chicks at the same time? Lawrence: Well yeah. Peter: Nothing. Lawrence: Nothing, huh? Peter: I'd relax, sit on my ass all day. I would do nothing. Lawrence: Well you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke — don't do shit. Okay, seriously. 1. Would pay off my bills. 2. Give my mom and one sister some cash and set up a college fund for my nephews. 3. Give some cash to Amnesty International and Cities of Asylum. 4. Put the rest in a fund and live on it and travel the globe with Stuart (and sometimes we would ditch each other because we are both people that need alone time) and try to practice random acts of kindness. 5. Eat a really great steak. 5 Things I like to do 1. Cook. I even like reading cookbooks 2. Going to the movies by myself 3. Book readings 4. Sleeping in late after a very late night. 5. Kissing in elevators Five Bad Habits 1. Slob 2. Procrastinator 3. Probably drink too much 4. Really bad with money 5. Have a see red go straight to jail, do not pass go button that if someone hits they are dead as far as I am concerned. Frankly, I don't really think this is a bad thing. Some people just shouldn't be in your life if they cross a line. 5 Things I Will Never Wear Again (unless it is for a fancy dress party) 1. Florescent clothing 2. banana clips 3. stonewash jeans 4. blue mascara 5. A plaid Jcrew hat I bought I bought a few years ago that Stuart says looks like a chav hat. Five Favorite Toys 1. ITunes 2. iPod 3. Chefs knife 4. TiVo 5. my blog

5 Comments:

At 9/14/2005 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Stu. said...

Maybe with some of the change from your 1 million. You could treat moi to a new PSP (Value Pack) .. Yes yes I know I sold my 1st one.

 
At 9/14/2005 03:29:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

But I thought you didn't like gifts. . . A promise is a promise and I promised no gifts. . .

 
At 9/14/2005 03:30:00 PM, Blogger Stu. said...

This isn't a gift as such cos I know it's coming..

 
At 9/14/2005 03:32:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

so if i buy you something- don't give it to you- tell you it is coming- then give it to you. . . that's okay since it isn't a gift? Okay. New rules. I like your style.

 
At 9/14/2005 03:33:00 PM, Blogger Stu. said...

ok ok I don't like surprises. Well gift surprises..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home