Sunday, September 18, 2005

Bless Me Father. . .

logo_68x100
,
.
I have sinned.

I am a Yankee fan. It started because my boyfriend eleven years ago was (is) a rabid, dyed in pin stripes, entire day ruined if the Yanks lose freak.

One of the nice things about Stuart is he isn't addicted to sports. He could really care less. After being with people who let their mood be dictated by the outcome of a sporting event, this is a wonderful thing. There should be a word that has the definition: the frustration and sorrow of the partners of sports addicts.

I used to hate baseball. My college boyfriend was a huge baseball fan. It always annoyed me that he never had a team but he loved the game. Not sure why that bugged me but toward the end the way he walked and ate his food got on my nerves, so it may have more to do with that.

So when I started dating The Yankee fan, I kept my heart hard against baseball. I was happy that there was the strike that year.

I became addicted in 1996. It was an amazing come from behind year and I started to understand more of the nuances of the game. I even found myself having a favorite player, Paul O'Neill renowned for his intensity and abuse of water coolers.

I haven't been with The Yankee Fan for a really long time but we are still friends and the Yankees are still my team, but the last few years I have been terrible about paying attention.

I can't tell you the name of who plays what position anymore beyond Bernie, Jorge and Jeter and I have no clue who is in the bullpen besides Rivera.

I am a very bad fan.

But that is not why I have sinned.

I don't want them to go the post season this year. And if they do go, I hope they get knocked out fast.

Why?

My wedding is Oct 15. There will be at least eight Yankee, five Red Sox and one Astro fan in my mother’s house that evening (The Astro fan will be without a doubt rooting for whomever is playing against the Yankees.)

I really don't want to compete with a baseball game.

Then again, if that happens and the gavones watch the game, Stuart and I can always sneak off into a dark corner and snog.

Hell, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing. . .

2 Comments:

At 9/18/2005 10:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - I know I am going to show my ignorance but where will the Mets be in this menagerie. You will be having a couple of those here as well. Your nephew and his Dad!
Mom

 
At 9/19/2005 03:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And sinned you have. After your Act of Contrition, 5 Hail Marys, 10 Our Fathers, and 100 chats of Yankees Suck.

Red Sox Nation

 

Post a Comment

<< Home