Friday, September 16, 2005

iTunes thinks I am out of it

Okay. I'm old. Not really old. I'm not 80. I still get carded, you know, when it is dim inside and the bouncer is just trying to make me feel good-- but more and more I discover that I am not part of the hip, the now, the (do the young people still say fly?? And would that be correct use of the word?) I have never been a hip chick. I like music from the 80's more now than when it was the 80's. I probably know all the words to Sinatra, Bennett and Billie Holliday tunes (which is its own kinda cool- nostalgia-cool). But what hit me today was flipping through the celebrity playlists on iTunes and realizing I don't have a flippen clue who a lot of these celebrities are. . . I am a fairly informed pop-culture person but I don't know who Dishwalla, Lifehouse and the Alkeline Trio are. Then again I am a weirdo with music. I stumble onto wildly esoteric groups like The Mountain Goats (who I love) but for someone to be considered for a iTunes celebrity playlist, I imagine a rather broad commercial appeal and I have no clue who some of these people are which makes me feel very 35. Which isn't really old. 35. And I don't really care that I don't know who Bow Wow is. . . it just feels a wee bit odd there are these artists that some marketing wonk has decided we should think they are important and the trickle down hasn't gotten to me yet.

6 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Artegall said...

I like Marillion, Genesis, and Yes. I liked them when I was 15. Which is why chidren used to beat me up in the playground.

 
At 9/16/2005 03:37:00 PM, Blogger lala said...

Kay - same age as you and just fell in love with Lifehouse (formerly a one-hit wonder 'Hanging by a Moment'- but now a two-hit wonder...) Their new album has a song called 'You and Me'- well worth it if you can find it.....

 
At 9/16/2005 07:50:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I'm right there with you. But I honestly think I'm better off not know who some of these people are.

 
At 9/16/2005 08:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask Nicole what songs she & her sisters knew by heart when they were really young.
Hey Patsy Cline rocks!
And the ones that were OLD when I was young.
Mom

 
At 9/18/2005 07:21:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Please stop helping me ma. . . :)

 
At 9/18/2005 08:00:00 PM, Blogger Stu. said...

Don't worry babe, one of the benifits of being with a much younger guy is that he knows what bands are new and cool. We'll work it out hun xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home