Thursday, September 29, 2005

slang

Stuart keeps teasing me that I don't know Londoner slang. "Wa'? You don't know what a ruby murray is? She doesn't know what a ruby is. You've had it- loads of times. I can't believe you." "I don't know what a ruby murray is Stu." "I can't believe you! You are such a tourist." "I'm American Stu. I don't know cockney slang." "Yes, you are an American and you always will be." Did a quick bit of research because I am a clever girl and I discovered that a "ruby murray" is a curry. I called him back all pleased that I figured it out. But he had more for me. "Saw a nice whistle I might wear to the wedding." "You want to wear a whistle?" "A whistle and flute. You don't know what a whistle and flute is? Come on, it's obvious." He tortured me for some time. I now know that a whistle and flute is a suit and a kettle is a watch. But I have also been told that I cannot use this slang because it, "Would just be wrong."

3 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 06:43:00 AM, Blogger neil h said...

Maybe you should start making up some lemon meringue words of your own and casually drop them into your London fog and see how Stu likes it? ;-)

 
At 9/30/2005 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

lol- that is an excellent idea. . .

 
At 10/09/2005 10:14:00 AM, Blogger richardalois said...

Apparently china boy hates it when foreigners use slang.

have to go, dog and bone is ringing...
Buettner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home