Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Movies

I saw Good Night, And Good Luck a few weeks ago and I wasn't disappointed. So nice when a movie you are excited to see doesn't suck ass. Go see it. Great performances. Music is lovely. Important story. One of my favorite places here in LA is the revival movie house, The New Beverly Cinema. Seven dollars for a double feature. Sometimes the theme is the director. Today they are showing 2001 and Clockwork Orange. Sometimes it is the actress (Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's). Sometimes it is theme- earlier this month they showed Somewhere in Time and Time After Time. (Former is pure le formage, but a guilty pleasure. The latter is one of my favorite movies when I was a kid. Do you find yourself not watching films you liked as a child because you are afraid you won't like them anymore?) Anyway- I think The New Beverly should show Good Night, And Good Luck with Network. Saw Capote yesterday. Zowie. What a performance. What a script. They capture his charisma and inate solipsism. There is this moment where the killers are about to be hung and Capote is crying and Perry Smith, the killer that he formed the bond with is consoling him. . . Some reviewers have said that Catherine Keener's performance as Harper Lee is lackluster, but I think they are completely off track. Okay, yes. She is one of my favorite actresses, so maybe I am biased- but she does her job. No, she isn't as flashy as Capote- she shouldn't be. But if you watch her eyes, there is all the subtext in the world in them. There is a moment at the screening of the film adaptation of To Kill A Mockingbird and she goes over to Capote, her childhood friend and he can't even offer the smallest of congratulations. So go see that too. They had a preview for the next movie I am excited about, the adaptation of Jarhead. (Is it wrong that I am excited that the film will make my signed first edition that much more valuable?) Was a smart preview- Didn't give anything away. (Thank God. I fucking hate previews that give me every plot point in every act. Why do I need to see the movie then??) Fantasic cast- Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard (another favorite actor), Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper. Directed by Sam Mendes. Shot by Roger Deakins (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, The Hudsucker Proxy, Barton Fink, Shawshank Redemption. . . among others) so it will look really, really pretty. Well, as pretty as Desert Storm could have looked. It is not going to suck unless they really screw it up and I don't see that happening. Jake (Is it wrong to think someone who is ten years younger than I am is so dreamy) is also in my favorite directors next flick, the adaptation of E. Annie Proulx's novel Brokeback Mountain (The Gay Cowboy Movie). Ah, I love the fall. Good movies all crammed into a few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home