Monday, November 14, 2005

Buskers

Evil recruiters. She sent me for a job where there was a senior top level VP job or a few graduate entry-level bullshit things. Nothing for Goldilocks. If I am only going to be earning 18 K a year I want to be doing something that I actually like goddamnit. I am marinating in annoyance at my recruiter who sent me off to speak to someone who didn't actually have a job for me, wasting my time and theirs, winding my way through the labyrinth that is the London Underground until you finally get to wait for the train and I realize . . . no buskers. Where did the buskers go? Are they not at the stops that I go to? Been to Balham, Charing Cross, Embankment, Goodge Street, Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road in the last nine days and no buskers. Is this because of the bombings or is this not busker season?

5 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOOk what is a busker?
mom

 
At 11/15/2005 08:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mom of Nicole,
They sing and play music in the underground. Normally exceptionally talented and the accoustics in the tunnels makes for amazing music......

 
At 11/15/2005 09:23:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Agh- I almost did a hyperlink footnote but I couldn't be asked. . . So here is the dictionary.com definition of busker

Yeah, the accoustics makes it sound great. I'm one of those people that actually likes them- It's funny also when you have to come back in the same direction and they are still there and they are singing the same three songs that they played when you went by earlier in the day.

 
At 11/15/2005 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buskers are now only allowed in designated areas, big parts of a wall and floor covered in beer ads. There are still a lot of good ones, especially in the corridor in Charing Cross from the front to the Bakerloo Line. -- david

 
At 11/15/2005 03:59:00 PM, Anonymous Preston said...

Unfortunately, I heard that Westminster council actually vets which buskers can actually play in central London Tube stations.....something to do with tourism and putting on our 'best dress for the visitors'....my question is.....what about the other 20 million who live in London......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home