Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Homeless

I am out of my apartment. When I moved in 1997, the rent was $467.00. One bedroom, three (huge) closets, enormous rooms and high ceilings. Was built in 1927 and it is still there, earthquakes and all. I never heard my neighbors unless I opened my windows and I heard some evil soul from the next building blasting Whitney or Britney. I didn't have my windows open very often. If you ever watch the classic 1944 film noir flick, Double Indemnity, directed and co-written by my hero Billy Wilder, you will see my apartment. The establishing shot of where Fred MacMurray drives into the driveway of his place is my building. My place is (was) 2nd floor stage left. Eight years later my rent is $584.00. If you live in an old building they only raise your rent a certain percentage each year. (Rent control but different.) Now, after they renovate my place they will charge $950.00. There is no way in hell that I would have lived in that neighborhood and paid $950.00 especially with no parking. I will miss that apartment. 27 when I moved in and 35 when I moved out. The people that I had visit, the dinner parties, all the room for all of my crap. I have always felt like I am a lucky person. Things have always worked out for me. That apartment was part of my luck. A friend had a friend that lived there. My credit was so bad I had to beg for the manager to give me the apartment. It worked. I have always been lucky, Finding Young across the Atlantic was part of my luck as well. I am a lucky, lucky girl. Always have been.

3 Comments:

At 11/01/2005 05:34:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Lol, they did the same with my apartment in Nashville, although it wasn't as nice as yours. I paid $430 a month at the end of my 9 year tenure there, and they were going to remodel and go to $695 a month. For a 400 sq ft apartment with two rooms.

Anyway, good luck on your trip, safe travels (kalo taxidi) if I don't post another comment before you go.

And may your luck never run out. =)

 
At 11/01/2005 06:20:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Thank you! All of your good thoughts and comments have been really lovely.

 
At 11/02/2005 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

It's really sad how people can be taken advantage of. We were almost one of them too but in the form of a wedding issue. The poor souls who move in to the renovated place should have done their homework...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home