Monday, November 07, 2005

My new home

I keep pinching myself. There have been certain points where I have done the major life change, usually around going to school or breaking up with a long term boyfriend, but this one wins. Our street in Balham is row after row of Victorian homes that have been converted into flats. The tube is a three-minute walk away and Balham High Street has lots of great shops. There is an organic butcher around the corner, a little farmers market with fruit and veg stalls and the Sainsbury's is a proper grocery store and not one of the little convenience things that I had to use when I was in Central London last spring. Of course there is a Boots and at least four kebab shops that I have seen (there are probably more). It is a cute little area that walks the line between nice and dodgy quite well. I was all for living in Brixton but I can see that this area will be a little less stressful. There is a pub one minute away down the street and it is friendly with huge windows that look out on the street, although they play a lot of football and rugby, which would commend it for others. We were in there Saturday for the Wales/ New Zealand match and it was great how the entire room groaned and cheered. S took me to another pub down Balham high Street after I arrived for lunch that was really nice- huge Victorian rooms, sofas and they rent games for you to play. Friday late afternoon I took a nap and I woke up to the sound of people setting off fireworks early for Guy Fawkes night. I have my insomnia that I seem to get when I come this way across the pond. I go to bed all right but wake up at two- three in the morning. My stuff is being delivered Tuesday as well as some things I ordered from Argos. Love the Argos.

3 Comments:

At 11/07/2005 08:03:00 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

Hey you're only two tube stops away!

Welcome to SW London.

 
At 11/07/2005 09:08:00 AM, Blogger lala said...

Sounds like a great beginning. Welcome to your new home (is it okay that I say that even though I'm not there?)

 
At 11/07/2005 06:46:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Sounds like a great neighborhood! Glad you arrived safely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home