Thursday, November 17, 2005

Toni Morrison

Someone else I wanna be when I grow up. At the National Book Awards last night, she introduced Norman Mailer who was awarded the medal for distinguished contribution to American letters. While she praised him, calling Mailer "a huge and provocative talent" with "a carnivorous intelligence", she also said, "I have my own list of objections that I can peruse at my leisure, not least of which is an almost comic obtuseness regarding women." God (or whatever diety you prefer) bless her.

4 Comments:

At 11/17/2005 03:39:00 PM, Blogger Joey Z said...

You should see what Mailer said about the novel as an art form. Very cool, as well. He's disturbed by how quickly today's books come and go from our minds.

 
At 11/18/2005 10:16:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I did. And it was and you know I agree. . . I was just impressed that she had the guts to say that as she was introducing the man.

I haven't read him in years so I need to pick him up again.

 
At 11/20/2005 01:55:00 PM, Blogger L-girl said...

I love Toni Morrison. She's a brilliant writer and an amazing person.

What she said about Mailer is completely true. It doesn't mean he isn't a great talent in his own right - of course he is. And he also happens to be a misogynist asshole. Leave it to Morrison to not forget to tell the world.

 
At 11/20/2005 09:22:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I couldn't have said it better. I find it interesting that he only got a half hearted standing ovation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home