Friday, December 09, 2005

French Phrases

Taking the Eurostar to Paris this evening so I thought it would be a good idea to brush up on a few French phrases since none of the 25 credits of French stuck in my head over the thirteen years since I was in University. It is not so much the thirteen years. I didn't remember much at the time either. I did a search on "french phrases" in Yahoo! and the first Website that came up had some inspired suggestions. Some of my favorites: "Haven't the police found you yet?" - "La police, ne t'a pas encore trouvé?" (la po - lees ne ta pa zen - cor troo - vay) "Would you stop spitting on me while you're talking!" - "Voulez-vous cesser de me cracher dessus pendant que vous parlez!" (voo - lay voo se - say de me cra - shay de - su pen - dan que voo parl - ay) "Reality and you don't get on, do they?" - "Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?" (le ree - al - ee - tay eh twa voo ne voo zen - ten - day pah nes pah) "My God your children are ugly!" - "Mon Dieu, que vos enfants sont laids" (Mon dyer ke voe zen - fant son lay) "I have a frog in my bidet!" - "J'ai une grenouille dans mon bidet!" (zhay en gre - noo - ee dan mon bee - day) Can't wait to try them out. . .

4 Comments:

At 12/09/2005 12:54:00 PM, Anonymous Preston said...

Shit Thomas....that's a crack up! Where the hell do you find these sites......

 
At 12/10/2005 05:16:00 PM, Blogger Shopping Diva said...

I about fell out of my chair with your French lessons! I knew it enough to take the test back in school, then it fell out of my head. That's what you get for living in America, no one to speak French with!

PLEASE! Let us know if you use the "My God your children are ugly!" phrase! I HAVE to know!

 
At 12/12/2005 01:06:00 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Haha - give us more more... I've come to laugh about a few of the quebecquois phrases P tells me and they are just as odd and hillarious.

 
At 12/12/2005 08:55:00 AM, Blogger teflonjedi said...

The only phrase I ever really bothered to memorize:

Ne tirez pas--je n'ai pas d'argent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home