Sunday, December 18, 2005

Get A Bloomin' Move On

Back in June, I bought a one sheet of the first Italian Job for S and we dropped it off at a local place to get framed a few weeks ago. We picked it up yesterday and started negotiating the traffic on Balham High Street to take it home. As we passed the Hildreth Street Market, one of the vegetable men saw it and started to sing the Quincy Jones theme song, Get A Bloomin' Move On (The Self-Preservation Society). Not many people would have made that joke in the US. Later we were in Leicester Square getting tickets for King Kong (which is really great minus one scene that pushes the bounds of suspension of disbelief) and there were hundreds of people wearing Santa costumes. Right now there are a number of carnival rides set up in the square so just imagine everyone on the ride wearing full Santa gear. It was deliciously surreal. I was cursing not bringing my camera with me. It's been really cold and I am not quite sure how I am going to survive February without earmuffs.

1 Comments:

At 12/18/2005 09:32:00 PM, Anonymous melanie said...

Santas on rides sounds fabulous. I just got back from Boston and had never been there at Christmastime, I was expecting lots of Christmas decorations and cheer - I guess just because it's an old american city I thought it would be charming. It was so disappointing.

I'm jealous of your surreal christmas...and a little upset that you didn't take your camera!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home