Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Hello! My Name Is Nicole And I Will Be Your Server Today.

For some reason some English folks simply can't say my name. They turn Nicole into Nicola, which, while a very nice name, is not my name. I noticed it when I was working here in the spring and now one of my recruiters insists on calling me Nicola. My boss in America was from London and he would do a French singsong with my name, "Neee-cole" as a sort of jokie thing. I've been called Cole, Colie, Nick, Nici, Nici T and Nickel-Dime by my Great-Great Uncle when I was a wee lass but never Nicola until here. Given that Nicole is a rather popular name now and the close proximity to France, I don't quite understand how it gets mixed up in people's heads. Oh well. This may be an apocryphal but according to my mother when I was little I was called Nici (with a k sound) until we moved and one day my mother was calling me to come in. "Nici." I don't show. "Nici?" No kid. "NICI!!!!" Definitely no kid. "NICOLE DIANE THOMAS GET IN HERE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!" I show up. When asked why I hadn't deemed to grace my mother with my presence earlier I said, "Nici lived in the old house. Nicole lives here." I've been Nicole ever since. Like I said, I don't know if that is a true story or not but I'm happy I wasn't a Nici. *Nici in my head is the girl who sleeps with the football team. It's like the name Chastity. Naming your brat **Chastity is guarantying her to be a slut. * Nici or Nikki or Nicki is a lovely name and if this is your name, I am certain you are not a big slut. Please don't take offense. ** Chastity is a lovely name and if this is your name, I am certain you are not a big slut. Please don't take offense. Oh, what are you kidding? You're both big whores.

2 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 04:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a very true story.
You were only 3 years old.
Since I was very fond of the name Nicole it wasn't a hardship to call you Nicole. By that time Nicole fit your personality more then my baby Nici did. I figured you must have had an old soul. You had a very quiet way of being stubborn.
SOOOOO sluty Nici was just never you.
Uncle Sonny called you Nicle Dime. Your Great Uncle

 
At 12/13/2005 04:29:00 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I hate being called other names too. I do have my nickname that stuck - Jen, but if you call me something other than Jennifer - it makes me want to puke. And like you, I never respond unless it's a full name, especially since it's so popular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home