Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Two depressing things

I'm good about taking jobs that I hate in order to pay the bills. I would have given Winona Ryder a good smack when she refused to take a job at The Gap in Reality Bites. I have done telemarketing three times, barista at a Gloria Jean's working for a sadistic boss, barista at Starbucks under a hospital where the line would be out the door at 5AM with grumpy doctors and nurses. I worked one terrible day at a tourist trap on the Seattle Waterfront called Captain Seattle. I was saved by Meredith at the now defunct Chicken & Egg furniture store and ended up with a few friends in the process. But if I hadn't been saved, I would have stuck it out at Captain Seattle because that is what you do. A few weeks ago I applied for a terrible job just because you gotta sometimes. It's with Greenpeace. You attack people as they walk down the street and try to get them to give you money. The recruiter for it rang today. "So, why do you want to work for Greenpeace?" What I said: "I am looking for a change and it is such an important organization and it would be great to be part of that." WhatI thought: "Because I am a big whore that is willing to do this terrible thing for £7.50 an hour so that I can get a positive cash flow going." Punch line is- even they aren't going to be interviewing people until January. This is a terrible time to find a job. If I have to take this job, please, please, please let me be saved by another position. . . The other depressing thing is my eyebrows. I have great eyebrows. I do. I don't brag about myself usually, but I like my eyebrows. They are really dark, dark, brown-black. Good shape. The bad part is they require serious gardening to keep them in line. This morning I was grooming and I found a gray eyebrow hair. What's next? Gray nose hair? I can see it now. Accosting people on Oxford Street: "Do you have a moment to talk about the environment?" with unseemly gray hair sprouting all over my face.

6 Comments:

At 12/07/2005 02:00:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

This made me laugh. I am constantly monitoring my eyebrows for hairs that are growing out of place. At work I spend half the day looking up at them to make sure none of them are growing in the wrong direction. If I find one that has gotten unruly I spend the next half the day trying to discreetly pluck it with out the benefit of tweezers.

I have a fear of being one of those old men who’s brows are 4 inches long.

Don’t even get me started on the nose hair situation.

 
At 12/07/2005 02:25:00 PM, Blogger lala said...

Gray facial hair? Sounds like you'll be a shoe-in for the Greenpeace job!

Good luck with the job hunt. Even thought it seems impossible, don't worry, you'll get there. I promise.

 
At 12/07/2005 03:54:00 PM, Anonymous melanie said...

Lately I've been having to pull out ever growing nose hairs that are alays tickling the insides of my nose. YUCK! I remember how grossed out I used to get when my dad would yank out his nose hairs and try to flick them on me...I'm turning into an old man!!

 
At 12/07/2005 05:45:00 PM, Blogger Joey Z said...

Even my eyebrow hairs aren't gray.

Though every other hair on my body is.

Don't stress it, you'll find a gig. And a good one, too.

 
At 12/07/2005 08:10:00 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Don't stress - but I feel your pain. You are right that December is the worst time for finding a job. I'm sure you will soon see better days - or at least by next month. :)

 
At 12/07/2005 08:37:00 PM, Anonymous Preston said...

Nup....sorry hun....but the next stop is....destination grey pubic hair!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home