Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Please go see this movie. God, I love Ang Lee. I haven't seen "Ride With The Devil" or "Pushing Hands", but I have long considered him to be one of my favorite film directors (along with Billy Wilder). For those of you that aren't big geeks like me, Lee's films are "Pushing Hands", "The Wedding Banquet", "Eat Drink Man Woman", "Sense and Sensibility", "The Ice Storm", "Ride with the Devil", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Hulk" and "Brokeback Mountain." I have a list of films in my head that have last moments that blow me away. Endings really are one of the hardest things to do well. Lee's "Eat Drink Man Woman" is on that list. "Brokeback Mountain" now is as well. And what a gorgeous surprise is Mr. Ledger's performance! I remember he blew me away in Monsters Ball, but I had no interest in the other films that he has been in, so I assumed (wrongly) he was just a pretty boy. He may be pretty, but the man's performance kicks ass. I wanna know how this kid from Perth Australia managed to channel a repressed Wyoming cowboy. Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic. Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway are both wonderful. Williams has bit more to chew on but Hathaway shines in every scene -- her last one in particular. There is a marvelous bit where Gyllenhaal and Hathaway are a bar sitting at a table with another couple they have just met. The woman is yammering away and starts to rib the men about how husbands don't dance with their wives. The men have been sizing each other up in half glances while she babbles. Gyllenhaal asks the woman to dance- or does he? The camera angle makes it look like he is asking the man to dance but the woman assumes that he is asking her. Maybe I'm nuts, but I read the scene as Gyllenhaal flirting. If I were writing a review, there is only one misstep that feels more like an editing problem than anything else. In the beginning of the third act, Ledger receives a postcard and then shortly after we see him call and speak to Gyllenhaal's wife (Anne Hathaway). It feels like there is a missing moment between the two scenes. Saying more would be a spoiler. Those that know me could say that as a girl with many gay friends, I do have a bit more interest in the subject matter than your average breeder, but please trust me that this film is more than just a "gay movie". Not that there is anything wrong with that. . .

2 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 03:01:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

Anne Hathaway is the Princess Diaries girl right? That last scene with her was amazing.

 
At 1/18/2006 03:08:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Yeah that is her. I didn't realize until later. I would love to know what their rehersal process was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home