Friday, January 06, 2006

coldcoldcoldcoldcoldcoldcold

Our boiler that decided to give us a Christmas Present is still not fixed. Boiler Man came by on Tuesday and decided that the problem was the heat exchanger and that it was a two-person job. The part needed to be ordered. A new appointment was scheduled. Today. Sometime after 11:00. My apartment didn't have heat in Los Angeles and there were some snaps where I would be walking around with artic gear inside but it was a little different than this. Today it is going to range from 40-30 Fahrenheit (I will never master comprehending Celsius) meanwhile Los Angeles is having what looks like a heat wave ranging from 82 to 55. Normally it would be 68 to 48 this time of year but that is still a good deal warmer than what it is here. No, it isn't Chicago cold but when you don't have heating in your flat, you start to feel grumpy. We've been sitting in front of space heaters in the living room, surfing the Internet because the warmth from the laptop keeps you warm, clutching cups of tea for the heat as much as to drink. At night we go to bed with our clothes on and clutch each other in a futile attempt to stay warm. S had a business trip yesterday so I ran a space heater while I slept, which yes I know isn't the smartest thing in the world but it made the room cold lifting it up from fucking freezing. This morning the heating company called and said the Boiler Guys aren't coming today because neither of them can lift the part. Gits. I have a feeling neither of them will have a problem lifting a pint this evening. So now they are scheduled to come by on Wednesday sometime between 8:00 and 11:00. What are the odds that even if they do show the problem isn't solved? Agh, I'll live. I could always ride around on the tube all day. It's warm down there.

3 Comments:

At 1/06/2006 04:53:00 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Riding the tube to keep warm, never thought of that one. But I did have no heat for a period of about 10 days. I wore my extra large yellow down jacket, thermals and jeans or sweats. If I was super cold, I put on my hood and then also took a few more showers. Plus yes the hot tea was wonderful. Here's another one - what about a bucket of hot water near you?

I hope I sprang up a few other ideas to keep you warm. You could always do a few jumping jacks and get your blood flowing even more.

 
At 1/07/2006 09:01:00 AM, Anonymous melanie said...

That sucks. At least you don't have such shitty electrical wiring that you can't run space heaters. The last time I tried running a space heater in my apt., I turned the electrical off for my entire stack.

 
At 8/31/2013 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous boiler guys said...

Oh! feeling very sad for you... sometimes it happens oneday i faced like this kind of fucking troublesome... Boiler Guys could reach my place after 36 hours ...it sucks me...i became freezing...its rally unexpected..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home