Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

We went to Matt's last night and he made raclette and chocolate mousse. (Diet starts today. Really. It is necessary.) We had booked a mini cab to go watch the fireworks on the river and then take the tube home since it was working even though there was a strike. We ended up nixing that which I'm happy about. Bleeding heart liberal that I am, I don't believe in crossing a picket line. I also felt kind of tired. I was thinking that midnight would chime and I could skulk home. The night of the 30th we went through four bottles of red wine and two bottles of champagne so I was feeling knackered. At midnight we stood out on Matt's back stairs and watched the fireworks that neighbors were setting off (probably horded from Guy Fawkes day). There was a little girl, eleven or so that was looking out her window trying to look up at the sky and when she saw us she waved and we waved back. After we sat down at the table and we all sort of looked at each other. Okay. . .what now? We decided to take a chance and try and get into a pub. Drinking laws are so backward here I didn't think we would get in anywhere but we managed to sneak into The Bedford and we drank and danced until 5:00 AM. How I don't have a hangover I don't know. I love being able to walk home from the pub. Hope you all have a wonderful New Year!

2 Comments:

At 1/01/2006 09:22:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Happy New Year! Many blessings for a fabulous 2006!

 
At 1/03/2006 06:44:00 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Ah the best type of night - unplanned and spontanious. Sounds wonderful to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home