Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hungry, Hungry Hippos

Listening to BBC World Service on the radio this morning and they had Paul Templer on the air talking about his experiences he had a few years ago when as a safari guide he was attacked by a Hippopotamuses resulting in his needing to have an arm and leg amputated. A documentary reenacting the attack,Dark Side of Hippos is playing on the National Geographic Channel. Who knew Hippos were so grumpy? According to Templer they kill more people every year in Africa than any other animal. So you can add Hippos to your list of animals to be scared of. A few weeks ago I was exhausted but I started watching one of those "when animals attack and eat people who go in the water" shows. Your usual suspects, sharks and crocodiles as well as octopus and barracuda. Of course I watched the whole thing. There is something in me that loves those shows. The part of me that is like my nephew Mason when he starts talking about the ancient shark, Megalodon. His voice gets deep, he opens his eyes wide and he says the word slowly, with reverence and a hint of delicious fear, "MEG-A-LO-DON!" When I was his age I was like that with crocodiles. On the show I watched last week, they went down a river in Australia at night that is teeming with saltwater crocodiles. If you wanted to die all you would have to do is go for a swim and they would get you. They shined a flashlight along the bank and there were all these eyes gleaming back through the dark. Brrrrrrrrrgh. . . Not sure if we have the National Geographic Channel but if we do I am going to try to watch the Hippo show. I know I am a sick puppy.

1 Comments:

At 1/19/2006 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

Well how would feel if your name was synonymous with being fat?

They're mad as hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home