Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Love your accent

I needed a calling card so I ran out to get one from the Internet Cafe down the street that sells them. On the way, I popped into the Newsagent that was closer in case they sold them. They are always really nice in there. They didn't sell them but as I went to leave he asked, "May I ask where are you from?" "America." "Where in America?" "California." "Oh! Been to Florida but that is on the other side isn't it? And I have friends in New York and Boston. I love your accent." It is so funny how in America we love the British accent and I've gotten a few times that people like mine here which I just don't get, because it sounds so flat to me compared to the British lilt. Although it does depend. The east end accent isn't my favorite and the Margaret Thatcher stick up her bum annoys me too, but for the most part I love British accents. I also think it is cute that often when someone hears that you are from America they tell you the places there that they have been or they tell you that they want to visit. My boss in California was British and I used to joke that he really wasn't from London, that he put the accent on to get ahead in business since Americans love that shit. Maybe it will work for me on this side of the pond. If I ever get a bloody job. Here is an interesting article from the BBC about how some regional UK accents may be bad for business.

2 Comments:

At 1/03/2006 06:45:00 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I always get where are you from too. I've noticed I pick up an accent since I've left california about 4 years ago. I like it more I think but of course find british accents sexy too.

 
At 1/04/2006 02:23:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

Having an accent is fun till it starts to get in the way. Ordering a garlic bagel from a Latino kid in Pasadena who has never met any one from Boston can be a bit of a challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home