Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Modern Life

Tube this morning. Northern Line Charing Cross branch somewhere around Clapham Common. Packed in like lemmings being pushed to our death by Disney. Woman moved over to make room for people getting on the train and was looking for space on a pole near me to hold on to. Looking for space so she wouldn't go flying when we started moving again. Man next to me. Sounded like he was from Jamaica or somewhere in Africa, I don't know anymore. I hear so many accents in a given day my little language synapses are crispy. Man next to me says, "Why don't you stop moving around?" Woman says, "We're all jammed in here." Man says, "Stop moving around you bitch." I look up, shocked (why did this shock me? I've had worse happen in Los Angeles. I had a man bray at me like a donkey when I was heavier. I had an old man pinch my ass on the bus. Why was I surprised? Crazy people are everywhere.) I look up thinking, "Fuck You!" and the man read my eyes. He glared at me and said, "Shut up. Shutthefuckup! Just Shut Up!" But I didn't say a word. No one said a word. Safer that way to stay quiet. If we said something he would have gotten more agitated. Maybe hurt someone. He was a big guy. But I was the only one that even looked up when he started to wig. Everyone else kept their eyes down. Maybe the volume was too high on their iPod.

2 Comments:

At 1/26/2006 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

My friend Dan had these romantic ideas of what it is like to ride the subway. Can you imagine someone actually looking forward to the daily nightmare of a commuter train?

Joe.My.God had a bunch of stories about the NYC subway and they are great.

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2005/08/guy-with-bike.html

 
At 1/26/2006 09:19:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

OMG- That is a classic post.

I actually like the tube but something about the morning rush hour destroys a bit of my soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home