Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Okay. This also sucks. . . Wendy Wasserstein

When August Wilson passed away in October 2005 I knew he was ill but it was still shocking. I had no idea that Wendy Wasserstein was even ill. She died today at 55 of lymphoma. The first time I head her name was in my sophomore year at University when my professor Kay Cook announced that The Heidi Chronicles had won the Pulitzer. It also won the Tony and New York Drama Critics Circle awards for best play. I never met Ms, Wasserstein. How I wish I had. She is one of the reasons that I wanted to be a playwright. A dream of mine that now feels unfamiliar like clothing I used to be able to fit into. Maybe one day I will again be able to squeeze into my skinny jeans. But enough about me and my solipsistic whinging. Today, we say goodbye to an important, beautiful, funny voice in American Theatre. The world is a bit emptier without her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home