Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Mussels

One of the foods that I cook that disturbs Stuart greatly is . I was scrubbing a batch recently and he came in and looked at me. One was open and I was tapping it to see if it would close. "Hello. Are you alive?" "They're alive? And you cook them in their little houses?" "Yep!" I said cheerfully. I stopped tapping on the shell and tossed it in the trash. "Why did you throw that one away?" "Because he's dead." He shook his head. "You are so wrong." Ever since I read Kitchen Confidential, I am rather nervous about eating mussels in a restaurant. Plus why would you when you consider the mark up on the things and how ridiculously easy they are to make at home? For a quickie Moules Marinères, I sauté shallots and garlic in butter. Add white wine. Boil. Add mussels. Shake the pan a few times. Steam seven to ten minutes. Add chopped parsley. Put mussels in bowl. Boil down the wine a little. Take off the heat and add a pat of butter. Pour over mussels. Eat. So easy and so cheap and so good. It also inspires abject horror in Stuart, which has its own pleasures. Two of my LA readers that found me through my illegal posting of New York Times Select columns, went looking for ancho chilies based on my post aboutChicken Adobado and had some problems finding it so they ended up making a mussel dish and they were kind enough to share it with me. Haven't tried it yet, but it reads delicious. Goan Warm Mussel Salad 1 cup finely chopped onions 2 tablespoons light vegetable oil 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh ginger 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 teaspoon turmeric 1 teaspoon ground red pepper 1/2 cup rich coconut milk Coarse salt to taste 4 pounds mussels (about 4 dozen), scrubbed clean Juice of 1 lemon 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves 2 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut (optional) Place onions and oil in a deep pot and cook, stirring over high heat until they turn light brown, about 5 minutes. Lower heat and stir in ginger, coriander, turmeric, and red pepper. Cook for an additional minute. Stir in the coconut, salt, and mussels, and bring contents to a boil. Cover the pot and steam until the mussels open up, about 7 minutes. Transfer mussels and the sauce to a deep platter. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cilantro and, if desired, coconut. Serve immediately.

1 Comments:

At 2/22/2006 02:34:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

"Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!"

I don’t suppose you were taught Irish Folk songs in Grammar School.

You can cook mussels for me any time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home