Saturday, February 11, 2006

Slightly worried

Making dinner for Stuart and Preston. One of my all time favorite cookbooks of the many I own is Rick Bayless' Mexico: One Plate at A Time. One of my favorite dishes in it is Pollo Adobado Con Papas or in English-- Red Chile-Marinated Chicken Roasted with Potatoes. It is really flavorful, a little spicy, slightly unusual because you roast the chicken butterflied. . . I always get compliments when I make it. I hit a snag today when looking for dried ancho chiles. You can walk into any supermarket in LA, hell you can walk into a 7-11 and find dried ancho chilies. I wasn't in the mood to search high and low so I went into one of the Caribbean shops nearby and bought a bag of wicked looking little chilies that are impossible to deseed. I made the adobo and when I tasted it I shrieked. Seriously. Even the air in the kitchen is spicy from the marinade. I am using less on the chicken than I normally would and I usually marinate it overnight but I figured a half hour is good enough. The directions tell you to pour the reserved marinade over the chicken and the potatoes for the last ten minutes, but I think I will skip that step. I think it will be okay. I hope it is okay. Can you be arrested for assaulting someone with overly spicy food? Update: Thank God. It was not only edible, it tasted good. Next time I'm using ancho chiles.

3 Comments:

At 2/12/2006 01:33:00 AM, Blogger Scott E D said...

God I love these stories. I bet they don't sever absolutely everything with ranch dressing either.

I am glad it came out well.

 
At 2/12/2006 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Except that Stuart used brown sauce on it. Sigh.

 
At 2/13/2006 02:07:00 PM, Blogger Stu. said...

Shut it Thomas.. I like Brown Sauce.. You we're just pissed at me all day. As I wouldnt let you buy Potato's than had been pre'washed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home