Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Best Picture?

I didn't see Crash. I was going to when I came back to America in July even though the reviews were tepid because I was curious about how they handled the subject matter and I am a sucker for ensemble flicks with lots of actors I like. Then my friend Darren and his boyfriend went on a rant telling me how bad it was, so I spent my $14.00 somewhere else. Why did the Academy go with Crash? The producers sent out a crazy number of screeners to members and sometimes (often) people confuse the importance of the subject matter with a good story. I'm sure I'll catch Crash someday on cable. I admire the filmmakers for making the film. Brian at Faggoty Ass Faggot said it best in his post regarding Crash vs BBM: "There's still hope for Brokebreakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo Somewhere this morning, Ann Coulter and her orgy of sycophants are orgasming in glee that Hollywood turned back that faggot cowboy movie from winning Best Picture honors last night. Equally as shrill are gay bloggers everywhere shrieking about deep-seated homophobia in the film industry torpedoing Brokeback Mountain's rightful place as the top movie. Me? I'm a'ight with the world today. If you're not going to give the Oscar to the ground-breaking fag flick, why not award the film that tries to start a dialogue about race in America? Clearly, though, Crash was not the best picture this year. When I walked out of the theater last summer, its message left me broken. Even flawless Tinseltown beauties living perfect tanned and toned lives can't overcome their own racism? I was defeated by the overwhelming helplessness of race relations in this country. After the heartbreaking Brokeback, though, I was determined. Determined to write something equally as beautiful someday. Determined to work so that no one would ever feel such fear that they could not find and accept love. Determined that I would never pass up the opportunity to grab happiness when I stumbled upon it. Now that's my picture of the year." Hear, hear! Let us all be determined to never pass up happiness when we stumble upon it.

2 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 01:42:00 AM, Anonymous Jackie Martin said...

Hey Nicole!
I haven't seen Brokeback, but I loved Crash. I did feel exactly the same as the person you're quoting here when leaving the theater. But, I did feel that I needed to do something. I've been teaching my nephew about how wrong stereotypes are.
I avoided Brokeback because Heath Ledger makes me want to part with my lunch. However, I'll make an effort based on all the hoopla.
The Best picture of the year?? Of the 4 that I saw which were nominated? Good Night and Good Luck. Best picture of all the films I saw last year? Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit :).

Love yer blog!

Jackie
website coming soon!

 
At 3/09/2006 01:58:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Jackie-

I hear you about your Heath fear, but trust me he is amazing in this movie. You won't be disapointed! Please go see it.

Love to you and your sis-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home