Monday, March 13, 2006

The Holy Grail

Stuart is a bag whore who will happily spend hours digging around in a luggage shop. Me, I look around maybe for fifteen minutes and I can immediately see what I would buy if I had money and if I do have money I am buying it. Stuart needs at least another hour. Even if he sees what he wants, he doesn't buy it. No. He needs to think about it. I now know how men who are dragged off to shopping while their wife, girlfriend, daughter leaves them with their pocketbook feel. Time stops. The illusive object that Stuart has been hunting is the bag Johnny Depp carries in The Ninth Gate. Personally I think that if Anthony Powell (the costume designer) handed Stuart the exact bag Johnny uses in the film, Stuart would still find fault with it. Over the last year I have seen him buy and then sell at least four bags that I thought were really lovely. I told him that the bag in his head has become the essence of bag and that he will never find it- sort of like Plato's theory of forms. When I told him this, he rolled his eyes. "Shut it Thomas." When he goes on one of his shopping benders I have learned to just walk away. There are other things that I can look at. Important things. Like finding the perfect tube of red lipstick. 1950's red. I know it is out there. Someday it will be mine. . .

5 Comments:

At 3/13/2006 02:03:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

What happens when he needs to find shoes to match the bag?

 
At 3/13/2006 03:44:00 PM, Blogger Preston said...

I just love this! Young shopping for what I call a 'Manbag'!!!
I too have been present when he has been shopping for one (in Camden remember?), and it took my idea of tedious to a brand-spanking new level!

 
At 3/13/2006 06:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just gotta love him!
I love being able to say that about someone I care about instead of hearing it about me.
The MIL

 
At 3/14/2006 06:58:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

That is really, really scary. I'm not even remembering the bag Depp had in that movie. That was SO not what I was paying attention to when I was watching it.

 
At 3/19/2006 04:39:00 PM, Blogger Shopping Diva said...

I am searching for the right handbag. I found found plenty of nice ones, but not THE ONE. I understand how he feels.

But I have to do my quest alone. My husband emits annoying little sounds when I am looking. My choices then are to ignore him (sooo hard to do!), strangle him (I sooo don't want to go to prison!), or leave. I always take the easy way out!

And my quest continues!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home