Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Not Constantinople

Baklava, round, honey-soaked pastries topped with green pistachios (Photographer: Greg Elms) © Lonely Planet Images Stuart thought it would be fun if we did a little trip before I start work in a few weeks so tomorrow we are off to Istanbul for a few days. A few weeks ago, I suddenly realized we hadn't looked into the visa requirements. Momentary panic- but after a quick bit of research we found you can get a visa at the border for ten quid. At least I hope it is only ten pounds. I am slightly worried that there might be a backlash extra special American price considering the wankedy wank-wank-wank-wank-wank-wank-wankness of the Bushies foreign policy. I'm certain it will be fine. I'm just being silly. I'm so excited to be in a city that was ancient when Christ was alive. I'm excited about the Grand Bazaar, the spice market and of course the book market. . . not to mention the Haghia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. And the food. I get giddy when I think about the food. One of the reasons why I love food is not just that I enjoy eating, (which the size of my ass can attest) but I love the story that food tells. There is a history found in how a dish is prepared. Can you imagine how great the food history is in a melting pot like Istanbul? Stuart could care less about food. He would happily wash a pill down every day with a Fosters for his nutrition needs if he could. I'm hoping he doesn't drag me into a Turkish McDonalds. When I return, there will pictures and an update on our visit to the oldest still existing city in the world!

6 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 07:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Have a GREAT time. A question. Is baklava from Turkey or is is a Greek desert? Both. Yummmm.
Love,
Mom

 
At 3/14/2006 07:54:00 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

It's nobodies business but the Tuuuuuuuurks!

Actullay all the countries in that region make a vaiation of it. Greeks make a layer version it's not rolled like you see in that picture. The Greeks also use walnuts not pistachios and it's topped with a coffee glaze.

Super Yum!!

 
At 3/14/2006 11:30:00 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

have fun!

 
At 3/15/2006 03:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott - I would like to try all of them, Hope you are well.
Marilyn

 
At 3/18/2006 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Preston said...

It's not a case of Young dragging you into a Turkish McDonald's. That's a given. It's a case of you trying to drag him outta there!

 
At 3/19/2006 04:41:00 PM, Blogger Shopping Diva said...

I don't want to ever know what it's like in a Turkish McDonald's. That just seems so wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home