Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Roast Big-Ass Chicken Dinner

We are having our first dinner party this Sunday. It all happened by accident. I was in Sainsbury’s and they had a big-ass chicken and it was only 5 quid. I thought, hey, big-ass cheap chicken! (It's enormous. 2.5 kg or 5.5 lbs) So since Stuart doesn't eat. . . big-ass chicken means dinner. Lunches for a week. Stock from the bones if I decide to go crazy. I told Stuart my plans to roast the chicken Sunday in the off chance he had plans to eat that day and it morphed into our having his folks and some of our friends over for a early dinner Sunday afternoon. I love having dinner parties, so I am excited about the idea. Although, I am slightly worried because the chicken is so large, calculating the when to put it in the oven time has me slightly concerned. When I am cooking just for me, I doesn't matter if it cooks faster or slower than I expected, but it is a different animal when you have guests. My plan. . . Going to use a variation of a cooking technique from The Cooks Complete Book of Poultry. Roast at 200C. Put chicken in the rack one wing up for 30 minutes, flip it for another 30 with the other wing up, then breast side up until it is done, which I guestimate to be another 40 minutes to an hour. Calling all cooks out there- Will that work? Should all be relatively easy. I can make my two of my sides the day before and they are served at room temperature so the chicken is my main concern. Will be interesting at any rate. Le Menu Marinated Mozzarella Olives Celery Carrots Big-ass Roast Chicken Roasted potatoes with shallots Roasted parsnips Yorkshire Pudding Red Pepper Terrine Mediterranean Eggplant and peppers Broccoli Green Salad with balsamic vinaigrette Bread Butter Roasted Garlic Dessert to be named later. Maybe brownies? Lots of red wine for the cook.

13 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger lala said...

Yorkshire pudding? My favourite!! How can I finalge an invite?

 
At 3/01/2006 01:24:00 PM, Blogger jen said...

Sounds good! My 2p? All the fuss over turning hot slippery birds isn't worth it in the end. Not such a dramatic result that one needs to flip and wrestle them around. Good basting and some butter under the skin is usually enough to keep them just as moist.

But some people swear by it, so take that with a grain of salt...

 
At 3/01/2006 03:16:00 PM, Blogger Stu. said...

I can exclusively reveal here that Desert will be supplied by our good friend Mattieu. :D

p.s. Bloody French

 
At 3/01/2006 03:17:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Yeah, I'm rethinking the flipping of the bird. (Wait. That sounded wrong.)

Laura if you hop on a plane now you can make it! :)

Stuart likes store bought Yorkshire puddings so I am just going to use that- But looking at the recipe it looks wicked easy. http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Yorkshire_Pudding_Recipe_1

Going have to try it from scratch someday.

 
At 3/01/2006 04:23:00 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Look on the bright side. Undercooked big-ass bird = a shit load of Salmonella.....and I probably wont be there!

 
At 3/01/2006 06:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi -Stick a lemon in (hopefully her)insides sprinkle with lemon pepper rum down with olive oil -cook -let her rest and don't stress it. You are the BEST cook!!!! Oh Stu will like desert anyway
xxxxoooooo Mom

 
At 3/01/2006 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks Mom! :)

I'm putting herb butter under the skin over the breast, lemon and onion inside and salt pepper and butter all over-

Stuart suggested I use a cube to make the gravy because refuse on the grounds that that is a sin against humanity.

 
At 3/02/2006 09:19:00 AM, Blogger Stu. said...

Anyways gravy 'sucks' HP Brown Sauce rules..

 
At 3/02/2006 11:47:00 PM, Anonymous Cecily said...

wow -- sounds great. wish i could be there! i have a fabulous brownie recipe from a bon apetit magazine -- lemme know if you want it. it calls for a homemade fig/cherry jam too that's delish.

as for the chicken, i just roasted a big ass chicken myself last night. this is a super easy recipe & the bird always comes out incredibly juicy. i don't know the temperature conversion, but here goes:

easy-peasy juicy roast chicken

1 5-6lb. whole chicken
2 tbl. mayo
2 tsp. crushed garlic
salt
pepper
paprika

pre-heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. wash & dry the chicken & remove the giblets from the cavity. (i fry the giblets in cooking spray & feed them to the dog.) place the chicken in anything you can roast it in -- a roasting pan, glass or aluminum baking dish -- it don't matter. mix mayo & garlic in a bowl & massage all over the chicken. sprinkle with salt, pepper & paprika. place chicken in oven & bake for 90 minutes. let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

the mayo makes it sweat -- it's truly the juiciest roast chicken i've ever made & there's no basting or turning involved.

 
At 3/03/2006 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

That sounds fantastic! I'll have to try it another time- My father in law is really fussy with food and if I stray too far from what he is used to I don't think he will be a happy camper.

 
At 3/03/2006 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Shopping Diva said...

I have never successfully roasted a whole chicken - ever. So I cheat and do this:

http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_20030718_chicken.jhtml

and I always do the potatoes which are so good! So try them sometime:

http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_20030718_potato.jhtml

Good luck! I suck at cooking! But I know the company will be fabulous, so you have made!

 
At 3/03/2006 09:52:00 PM, Anonymous Cecily said...

be sure to let us know how the dinner works out. do you have any good soup recipes? i've decided this is a soup-making weekend, but i'd like to try something new...

 
At 3/03/2006 11:29:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I'm afraid I don't. Never played a lot with soup- I need to start. I bought one of thise hand held immersion blender thingies so I could

 

Post a Comment

<< Home