Thursday, March 23, 2006

Springtime in Balham

One of the great pleasures in getting to know someone is discovering what they enjoy. The little things that show that you know them. The little things that wind them up. . . There is an accordion player outside Sainsbury’s. I call Stuart. I hear the phone click as he answers it, but he doesn’t say hello. There is a long pause. “Thomas. Where are you?” “On our high street.” “There’s an accordion.” “Yes, I know.” “I hate accordions.” “Yes, I know.” I hold the phone out toward the music for a few moments then bring it back to my ear. Stuart isn’t amused. “I’m going to have you for that later.” “I was thinking of buying one. An accordion.” “Goodbye Thomas.” “Taking lessons.” “Goodbye Thomas.” “I could play ‘La vie en rose’ over and over and over. . .” “You’re a git.’ “I may sing with it too.” “Goodbye Thomas.” "In French." "Thomas. . ." “Quand il me prend dans ses bras. . .Il me parle tout bas. . .Je vois la vie en rose. .” ‘Remind me to beat you later.”

2 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 07:34:00 PM, Blogger jen said...

I am always compelled to give accordion players money - cause, really, who still plays the accordion?

 
At 3/26/2006 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Caliban10 said...

The Pogues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home