Thursday, April 06, 2006

One Year Ago Today. . .

Stuart asked me out for the first time. It wasn't obviously a date. Well, I wasn't sure. And if it turned out that he thought it was a date, I planned on blowing him off. I had met a boy the Saturday before and we had got on. Lots of e-mails and texting flying back and forth. (What's with it with texting here? I never texted in the states. I hate it. Takes me three hours to compose a simple sentence of one-syllable words.) Plus, I had a "boyfriend" back in LA. (More like, there was someone that I should have broken up with months before. Like when I got back from Hawaii and he left me a voice message that he had drank all of my beer. Sigh. It is my fault. When your "boyfriend" wants to meet you in Paris and the thought fills you with revulsion, it's a good sign that maybe you should break up. Another break-up reason is when they don't even give you a card for Christmas when you spend $300 on their Christmas present, but that is another story.) Weeks before I left for London a year ago, I told my friends (who all hated the "boyfriend") my plan. My plan when I came to England was to have a good time. In other words, my plan when I came to England was to have as much sex as possible. With as many people as possible. Of course safely. Then Stuart asked me out and I knew immediately walking down the sidewalk or pavement (whatever they bloody call it here) along Shaftsbury toward The National Gallery that I wasn't going to blow him off. I knew immediately. So much for Nicole going wild in London. Thirteen days later he proposed. We were walking along the tunnels in the underground to meet friends in Brighton. He turned to me and said, "Marry me." I said, "Ask me properly in a few months." It is amazing, looking back now, how slowly time moved. Everything made sense. It made sense that we made plans to marry so that we could be together after thirteen days. Thirteen days??? I don't even have the excuse of being on drugs to explain it away. One year ago today, the dominos were set up that changed the direction of my life in a way that I could not have imagined. I thank the gods. I am so glad I said, "Yes."

4 Comments:

At 4/06/2006 10:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too!
xxxxooooo
Mom :)

 
At 4/07/2006 01:48:00 AM, Blogger Joey Z said...

That's very, very sweet.

Although the writer in me thinks of the Parody movie you and Stuart could make using the title: Thirteen Days.

Congrats to you both!

JZ

 
At 4/07/2006 03:20:00 AM, Blogger andrea said...

When you know, you know. I was smitten after a day, and we are getting married in January. It's exciting isn't it? congrats! :)

 
At 4/07/2006 03:04:00 PM, Blogger jen said...

Well as someone who took exactly 6 weeks, I move a little slower than you... but congratulations anyway ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home